Contacto Mapa del sitio

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between postgraduate activities and academic degree programs?
Postgraduate activities are academic spaces for training, upgrading, or continuing education of professionals, teachers, and researchers in a specific area of knowledge.
Academic degree programs (postgraduate courses) allow the candidates to obtain PhD, Master’s and Specialization degrees in the field of one or more disciplines, and they require the preparation of a final paper, project, or postgraduate thesis.
What is the difference between Specialization, Master's Degree and Doctorate?
Specialization. It aims to deepen the domain of theoretical, technical, and methodological knowledge in a specific aspect or area of professional discipline or a field of application of various professions, thus increasing the professional training through intensive education. These activities must be completed with an individual final paper of a comprehensive nature, whose evaluation method will be defined by each academic unit. This leads to the academic degree of Specialist, with precise specification of the profession or field of application.
Specialization programs have a minimum course load of 360 hours, or its credit equivalence.
Master’s Degrees. They aim to provide advanced training in a disciplinary or interdisciplinary area, deepening the development in theoretical, technological, and professional education for specific research, study and training. Training must be completed with the individual presentation of a final paper, project, work, or thesis that demonstrates conceptual and methodological domain for the current state-of-the-art of the corresponding disciplinary or interdisciplinary areas. This leads to the obtainment of an Academic Master’s Degree certificate with precise specification of the disciplinary or interdisciplinary subject area covered.
Master’s programs have a minimum of 540 lecture hours, plus a minimum of 160 hours of tutoring and research work at the University, not including the time devoted to thesis development.
Doctorate. It aims to train researchers with the purpose of making original contributions in an area of knowledge. These contributions shall be expressed in a doctoral thesis on an individual basis. This leads to the obtaining of a doctoral degree with precise specification of the disciplinary or interdisciplinary subject area of reference covered.Are postgraduate courses and programs tuition-free?
Currently some courses are tuition-free, while others are not. For more information please ask the Assistant Secretary of Postgraduate Studies of the corresponding School.
The current statute applied to the UNLP establishes, through its article 21, a no-fee policy of doctorate studies for teachers, researchers, and graduate students who participate in activities at our university.
What is the postgraduate credit system?
The credit system facilitates comparability and accreditation of diverse forms of postgraduate activities (seminars, courses, workshops, etc.). For each of them, the School shall assign a certain amount of credits that the student will accumulate until completion of all of the credits is accomplished. For this reason, each of the postgraduate courses should specify the hour load and the corresponding credit system.
Academic credit value will be established by the Boards of Governors of each academic unit, through the Academic Degree Commission, based on a minimum of 15 hours per credit. Furthermore, other specifications that enable its consideration may also be taken into account.Must foreign students validate their bachelor’s degree?
Postgraduate activities’ approval and certification do not enable graduate students from foreign universities to practice their professions in our country, nor do they imply automatic revalidation of the previous degree.
For this reason, it is not necessary that foreign professionals validate their degrees when enrolling in or taking a postgraduate course, with the exception of the School of Medical Sciences, in which applicants must validate their degrees before enrolling in any postgraduate activity, specialization, master’s degree, or doctorate (by Disposition 14/10 of the National Direction of University Management).
For more information, please see the validation system of the National Ministry of Education:
What is the Apostille of The Hague for? Where must I go in order to obtain it?

By means of Law 23,458, Argentina has approved the Convention adopted in the City of The Hague on October 5, 1961.
This Convention shall be applied to public documents which have been issued in the territory of a contracting State and must be presented in the territory of another contracting State.
Any certificate with the Apostille stamped at their country of origin excuses legalization requirements at the Argentine Foreign Office. In order to obtain the Apostille of The Hague, please contact the Argentine Foreign Office (Cancillería), 819 Arenales, Autonomous City of Buenos Aires, Monday to Friday, 9.30 AM to 1.30 PM.Must foreign students have a temporary residence in Argentina to study at the UNLP?
All foreign students that take postgraduate courses or activities must apply for their temporary residence to be able to remain in Argentina (National Immigration Law No. 25,871, Sections 23 and 24).
Will recipients of postgraduate degrees be professionally licensed?
No. In no case will a postgraduate degree (specialization, master’s degree or doctorate) serve as qualification for professional practice of any kind in this country, but only has academic value.
Can postgraduate programs be addressed by more than one University, or by two or more Schools?

There are two alternatives:
Institutional Courses: Organized by one or more UNLP Schools, they are delivered at an external Argentine or foreign institution that is responsible for course administration and financing, and taught with UNLP curricula and faculty. To these ends, the signing of a specific agreement and the obtaining of the corresponding approval from each Board of Governors is a necessary condition. In this case, the degrees shall be issued by the National University of La Plata.·    Inter-institutional Courses: They are those involving two or more Argentine or foreign partner universities. Its purpose is to exploit the academic, scientific, technological, and/or artistic potential they count with, in a joint effort that combines human resources, materials, and/or financial resources to guarantee an adequate course development. According to each case, students will receive a joint or multiple degree.
Are all postgraduate courses offered in a classroom setting?
No. Course offerings may both be classroom-based or through distance learning. Institutional or inter-institutional courses will be considered classroom-based when 75% of the activities are developed in a classroom setting.
Distance learning (on line) courses are those in which over 25% of the activities are not developed in a classroom setting.Who can enroll a postgraduate course?
All graduates from any national or foreign, public or officially recognized private university can enroll in postgraduate courses, provided they meet the admission requirements established by each academic unit.
The approval and certification of these activities does not entitle graduate students from foreign universities for professional practices, nor does it imply an automatic revalidation of the degree or certificate issued at their country of origin.
Where must I sign up in order to take postgraduate courses?
Enrollment takes place at the Secretary of Postgraduate Studies of each School or Schools that offer those activities.




24/02/2012 14:05